How To Find A Research Paper Introduction Example In The MLA Style
MLA refers to a style of writing recommended by the Modern Language Association. The MLA style is most commonly used in writing research papers in the areas of the liberal arts and the humanities.
Basic MLA Principles
- Everything including the text of the paper, citations, notes and quotations is double spaced.
- One-inch margins are used from top, bottom, left and right.
- Direct quotes, indirect quotes and any other ideas borrowed from another source are declared through the use of parenthetical citations.
- Parenthetical citations are referenced in a Works Cited page.
- Titles of books, plays, periodicals, films and television programs are italicized. Titles of poems or chapters in a book are placed within quotation marks.
- The page number is put in the upper right hand corner of the page.
- The present tense is used for citations or quotations.
Searching for MLA style research papers
Armed with knowledge of the basic structure of the MLA style, finding an example of an MLA style paper becomes much easier using the following resources:
- The Internet
- The Library
As always, your first stop for finding information is the internet. A search through one of the leading online search engines with terms such as “MLA Research Paper”, “Humanities MLA articles” or similar will yield a large number of interesting examples of MLA style writing. This will include works by highly eminent researchers whose credentials can also be easily verified using the internet.
Search Engines/databases specifically built for academic works like JSTOR and Questia will give you more focused results than an ordinary web search engine.
You can also search for a particular topic using the internet and can come up with a list of citations including papers and books written for that topic in the MLA style. Finding the full text of such books online may not always be possible. However, performing an online search will allow you to narrow down what to look for when using the next research resource, namely a library.
With a list in hand of which particular papers or books to look for, the library is then the best place to find full texts. Do not be afraid to ask for help from the librarian, who will know exactly where to look for the articles you need.
Public library databases are also an important resource to utilize while searching for an MLA style research paper. If you have access to a University library, they are by their very nature more geared towards research and may have exclusive access to specialized academic databases with inventories carrying hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of research papers.