How to write a thesis statement to make your paper stand out?
What is a thesis statement?
A thesis statement is the sentence that defines what the main topic and main objective will be of the paper. A thesis statement sets the tone for the entire paper. The thesis statement is normally the last sentence or the first sentence in the introduction paragraph of a paper. The thesis statement grabs the attention of the targeted reader to ensure that they want to read the entire paper.
How to write a good thesis statement?
Here are a few pointers on writing an outstanding thesis statement to ensure that your paper stands out:
- Depending on the type of paper you are writing the thesis statement should either be the last sentence or first sentence in the introduction paragraph. This should be done because you want to get the attention of the reader and let them know the topic of the paper right away.
- The thesis statement should be written in a way that it would grab the reader’s attention right away. The thesis statement should compelling, daring, and bold.
- It is okay if the thesis statement is a run-on and long sentence, as long as, it states the topic of the paper clearly.
- The thesis statement should state the topic, your position on the topic, and argument for why your position is the right one.
- The thesis statement should not be too vague, too broad, or too over the top.
- The thesis statement should state the topic as concisely and clearly as possible so that it will not be too difficult for the targeted reader to clearly understand the topic.
- The thesis statement should not be longer than one sentence, grammar must be correct, and no misspellings.
- A good thesis statement comes from a good question.
- The thesis statement along with the introduction paragraph should be written last after you complete the research and writing of the paper.
- The thesis statement should be so good that it will encourage the readers to discuss the topic further.
- The thesis statement should state one topic and one idea only.
- The thesis statement should be to the point and specific when describing the topic of the paper.
A good and strong thesis statement of a paper will ensure to grab the attention of the targeted reader, ensure that the reader will want to read the paper in its entirety, and ensure that the reader will discuss the paper further.